Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:20:09 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/2004 4:16:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

Well,  like I said its probably old stuff for many of you. Seemed to be
really  pronounced tho in this piano, and I cant say I've noticed it
before... at  least not this much. The width of the contact area varied
quite a bit...  even more then the picture shows, and the width of the
front vs back  notched area varied even more... tapering down to a very
short length in  the low treble and very high diskant.

So whats the reasoning behind  these two things ?

I have a couple B's at the conservatory, one Hamburg  and one NY.  I
guess I'll go have a look this afternoon and  compare.

Cheers
RicB

     Ric
    This is not a B sorry, Its a D with the uneven unison  string lengths &
uneven rear aliquots.
   The idea in my opinion is to increase sustain & color  at the expense of a
little power. When I redo this type I put in even string  lengths. Baldwin
also did this.
  The idea at the ends of the bridge patches is to have less severe  string
length/tension  changes across the plate strut breaks on the  bridge.
   Dale