"hurdy gurdy"

Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:27:02 +0200

Hurdy Gurdys are strange instruments to be sure... many sort of look
like violins with a kind of keyboard mechanism attached. I saw a bunch
of these on display in the fantastic museum of musical instruments in
Hamamatsu this past june. They come in all sizes and there were plenty
of variations on the basic design. These are also somtimes called
symphonias I think.

Heres a link to a sound example

http://www.hurdygurdy.com/hg/sounds/hg_hires.aifc

Heres a couple pictures I found on the net of modern copies of older
designs. If this isnt more or less the same thing as your customer
has... perhaps he has the name mixed up with something different ?  A
pict ure would be nice :)

Cheers
RicB

J Patrick Draine wrote:

> I have a customer who has what he calls a hurdy gurdy. A quick Google
> search of that term reveals something completely different, so allow
> me to attempt a description, and hope for some enlightenment/direction
> from y'all.
> The thing has a strung back like a "birdcage" or "cottage piano", and
> has a large cylinder which, when cranked, drives leather covered
> hammers, producing a cacophonous din. It hadn't been tuned in many
> decades, but with the aid of a SAT II with the oscillator-to-speaker
> plugged in, I managed to chip it within 150 cents of 440.
> The customer of course is sure it's priceless, and is looking to sell
> it for big bucks!
> Anyone have a more precise name for this thing, or a website somewhere
> out there with further information?
>
> Patrick

--------------040700060102070709010404
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...