Repetition Lever Height

Gordon Holley gwholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:25:53 -0500

Hi Guy.  Will you expound a little on your suggestion of using a guitar =
pick or cocktail stirrer.  Are you suggesting to use one of these=20
instead of a finger or thumb nail to flip the jack, OR (you explain, I'm =
drawing a blank on this one) please.
Many thanks from all on the continued suggestions on my initial post on =
this subject.
Regrds, Gordon Holley
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Nichols=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:54 AM
  Subject: Re: Repetition Lever Height

  At 06:33 PM 7/28/2004 -0700, you wrote:

    IMHO, the better, more precise method is to "wink the jack, using =
the
    incredible sensitivity possible in your hand/eye perception to FEEL =
the
    slight drag of the jack ahead across the knuckle, and to see a =
slight---and
    I mean slight---movement of the hammer.....
    Just my $.02.....
    David Andersen

  All good comments, and I'll add that it's quite often easier to "FEEL" =
something like jack wink when you use a tool, like a soft guitar pick, =
or cocktail-stirrer, or something with a bit of give. I've got meat =
hooks for fingers, and I find the tactile response required for fine =
feedback is enhanced with tools. Like checking let off. I press with a =
short section of sound board steel, on the bare wood just behind the key =
cover. Evening the leverage (to 1:1) and adding a flexible interface. =
Really amplifies the effects of blocking, and makes it harder to =
"overpower" the block without feeling.

  Just another 2=A2

  Later,
  Guy