broken agraffe

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:48:53 -0500

What brand and age is the grand breaking these agraffes?  I have had this
problem only with Steinways in the twenties.  And they all seemed to be the
same note--I don't remember which one now.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

 -----Original Message-----
From: David M. Porritt [mailto:dporritt@mail.smu.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 3:56 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: broken agraffe

  Phil:

  I have a customer who has had about 10 agraffes break in the past couple
of years.  The only thing to do is get it out and put a new one back.  On
this piano, all of them broke horizontally at the string holes.  That left
the bottom half of the argraffe and was pretty easy to get out with my
agraffe installation tool.  When the screw breaks off it can be harder to
get it out, but it too can be done.

  I don't have much by way of suggestions.  It's not rocket science, but it
can be a pain in the......

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT

  Meadows School of the Arts