Repetition Lever Height

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:30:07 -0500

0.2mm, eh?  ... well ....

The key is simply for the rep height to be very slightly higher than the
jack so that the jack can slip under there easily without creating any
discernable lost motion when the key is pressed. Several factors make a
difference, especially rep spring tension, weight of
hammer-shaft-knuckle, etc.

You don't have to feel "0.2mm,"  you just have to feel that there IS a
little difference in the height. I've heard it said that it feels like
sliding along a flat surface until you come up to the edge of an
old-fashioned double-edge razor blade lying on the table.

Ow.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Holley [mailto:gwholley@hi-techhousing.com]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 12:26 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Repetition Lever Height

List.  In regulating a grand with all new wippens, hammers and shanks,
I'm having a problem with determining
the correct dimension between the top of the jack and the top of the
repetition lever, in setting the repetition lever height.

On the back page of the March 2004 Journal, the Yamaha, Little Red
Schoolhouse, Step 18 of regulation, says that there should be
0.2 mm between the top of the jack and the top of the repetition lever.
And yes, I've read all of the other info provided, but I'm surely not
that great at a tactile sensation with a finger to determine 0.2 mm.

And I don't know how to measure the 0.2mm with a gauge in the lever
window.  I read some place that this thickness is about the same
as a business card, but that doesn't help.

Does anyone have a better, step-by-step procedure to follow to set the
lever height?

Many thanks in advance

Gordon Holley
Associate Member