soft pedal on new Kawaii

ryan sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:53:22 -0700 (PDT)

My first question is what is the overall tone and
voicing condition of the piano. The "quiet" pedal is
much more effective on uprights if the hammers have
some flexibility in them.

I may be a minority on this issue but as a player, I
find the left pedal to be a very usefull tool when
trying to gain maximum dynamics when playing uprights.

I have witnessed a concert-level pianist use the left
pedal freely when performing on an upright.

After all, why would Fazioli bother to put a
similar-functioning pedal on one of the most expensive
pianos in the world. Also this is how many player
pianos, both uprights and grands, improved dynamics.

It is unfortunte that the typical upright action gains
so much lost motion when the pedal is engaged and it
is true that it can become a crutch. However a pianist
with good technique will still have more control over
the dynamics with than without it.

One of the things I really like about my Fandrich &
Sons upright piano is that the left pedal lifts the
back of the keys, like the Fazioli. My perception is
that it magnifies my control over the piano at the
pianissimo level.

Of the people who claim the left pedal is useless, and
strictly for marketing purposes, how many are players?

=====
Ryan Sowers, RPT  Puget Sound Chapter
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA