Console Jack Reset Trouble

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:57:38 -0400

I serviced a 1980s Young Chang 106 cm (42") console today. Lady was =
complaining about a number of black notes that would not play after you =
played them once (would not repeat after playing softly). I inspected =
and sure enough on many of the black notes, when played very =
softly/slowly, the jack would not reset back under the hammer butt.

Plenty of lost motion. On white notes that reset, some jacks would reset =
immediately upon starting to release the key - the hammer would stay up =
near the string and the jack would reset immediately - on other white =
notes, the jack would reset when the key had fully returned (it would =
rely on there being some lost motion).

I eased the black keys (some were tight) and weakened the hammer butt =
springs and that seemed to help - but I could still make a few of the =
notes not reset if I worked them very slowly.

I think most of the problem (besides simply being a 1980s YC console) is =
that the black keys all have a lead forward of the center rail pin - =
pattern leading. These black keys are very front heavy. Most of the =
white keys are unleaded (and they repeat just fine). The white keys =
require very little weight to push the back of the key down - even a =
console wippen could push them down! The black keys require much more =
effort to push the back of the key down.

I think if today's efforts do not meet her needs, re-leading is the =
answer. Piano is not worth a Stanwood approach, but maybe drilling some =
1/4" holes in the black note leads or even removing the leads will make =
the key Front Weight more in line with the naturals.

Anyone have any thoughts on this situation or direct experience solving =
a similar problem.

Thanks to any and all of you wonderful Pianotech list enthusiasts!

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com