Voicing uprights (was feasable voicing tool modification??)

ryan sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:28:05 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't tried Joe's voicing pliars but I'm skeptical
that they wouldn't get enough leverage to do the job
as eficiently as the vice-grips. The vice-grips offer
compound leverage. Even so, I find that my wrist can
get sore after several minutes. A friend showed me a
pair of voicing pliars he made from a modified pair of
compound leverage wire bending pliars. The pliars are
somewhat expensive but it looked very ergonomic.

Another helpfull tool in voicing uprights is a piece
of angled aluminum about 8" long to support the
hammers and keep them from bearing into the hammer
rail felt. For filing it keeps all the shanks level
and well supported.

Using pliars will cause a bit of cupping in the
hammers so it is good to go over them afterwords with
some sandpaper.

http://www.mothergoosetools.com/other_tools/voicing_pliers.shtml

> Terry Farrell

=====