tuning HT's by ear

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:31:54 -0400 (EDT)

> It seems to me that stretch happens quite naturally when you are tuning
> aurally.  You can choose to be moderate or aggressive but its there if
> you are listening to your octaves and large intervals.
> N'est pa?
> Andrew

Oui. That's what I liked about doing it aurally. It just happened. I
checked double octaves and played three of the same notes (in different
octaves) one-by-one, bottom-middle-top, to check the top note. Then a few
intervals here and there.

I also didn't spend as much time in places like the top three notes,
including unisons up there. I did what I could and then moved on. When I
use the ETD, I often spend too much time in the wrong places, because I
have too much information.

Charles

P.S. ..."hysterical tuners [quoting David I.]"... I like that. :)