tuning HT's by ear

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:22:13 -0700

Charles Neuman asked: "Does that sound like a reasonable approach?"

Charles et al,
Sheesh! No it does not. Taking into consideration that ancient =
instruments had quite a bit LESS inharmonicity would give you the idea =
that NO STRETCH is more appropriate, IMHO!! If you attempt to tune all =
of the octaves as pure as possible then you will come a bit closer to =
what the "Great Masters" had in mind and heard. However, it is my =
opinion that any HT on a modern instrument, (excluding Modern HT's), is =
an excercise in futility and maybe a bit of stupidity, as well. Modern =
pianos, with high tension/inharmonicity factors do not truly convey the  =
"true" sound of HT's.
Just my thoughts, having done many HT's on both Modern and true ancient =
instruments.
As for tuning HT's, aurally, to improve your aural skills, that's a good =
thing and I encourage it. Just don't put modern tuning criteria into the =
mix, please.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police