Steinway upright sticker hinges

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:52:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Driscoll
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 10:46 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Steinway upright sticker hinges

To: Pianotech
Subject: Steinway upright sticker hinges

Just brought in an 1874 upright. It had hinges on the bottom of the
stickers, captured by a brass plate. Does anyone know what these
hinges would have been made of originally? I'm looking at a wide
variety of moth and mold damaged cloth with no way to tell what, if
any, were factory installed. My inclination is to go back with thin
leather for durability. There doesnt seem to be a need for cloth,
noise wise, cause the sticker is clamped tight to the key when
properly done. Any advice is, as usual, much appreciated.
--
----Dave

Dave,
	I remember a thread some years back on this material which as I
recall is vellum (SP?)
	A check of the archives might be helpful with that key word.
	Tom Driscoll

Dave ,
	Just did a quick search in the archive and there are many posts
available.

	This from good friend Joe Garrett:

	buy my vellum from Fletcher & Newman (sp?), in Jolly Olde
England. Good
Company w/lots of "different" stuff. Of course you have to learn how to
read
"Brit" to understand some of the products available. <G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

	Hope this helps,
	Tom D.