on needling old upright hammers

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:20:25 EDT

Greetings,

           I would like to thank the list for the generous wealth of
information on needling hammers this week. Some of the info affirms my thoughts and
there were alot of things new too that I learned. I really enjoy playing around
with needling my old upright's hammers too, which I am going to eventually
replace, and I am getting the most educational/experimental time poking them.

           Two more questions:

           1. On these 100 +, - year old upright hammers (or for that matter
any old old hammers), is it possible that one could needle them to sound
really much better and less shrill, do a good job, satisfy the customer, and then 6
months later get a call that the wool is falling to dust off the hammers?

            I really do have an over-active imagination, yet I do only have a
whopping 1 yr. plus experience, and as a rookie, I just have these thoughts.
Some of these hammers when you file them, especially the old ones, their
filings turn to DUST on the workbench. It's scary...and

           2. Would needling deeper than 3/16" to lets say, 1/2" on the
shoulders, give any benefit? Does going deeper into the hammer release more sound?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA