cholesterol OT OT

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:51:18 -0700

Cy, I'm not picking on you and I don't want to start an OT thread that gets
heated.  I will make a comment on your post but ask that others e-mail me
privately so that others may not get offended.

The chairman of the panel that recommended lowering cholesterol said "for a
high risk person the name of the game is to get it as low as possible".
Does that sound like a scientist or a huckster?  I could say that "everyone
knows that a slow heart rate is a sign of good health, so everyone should
get there heart rate as low as possible.  When you reach zero your cured.
No more heart attacks."

See below

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Shuster" <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: cholesterol OT OT

> Wow, that's really surprising.  I just read about a recent study that said
> statins have many other benefits, including a 50% reduction in risk for
> colon cancer.

I'd like to see the raw data on that test.  If I may hypothosize, I might
think that 200 people were divided into two groups, one hundred taking
statins the others taking placebos.  One of the group taking statins
developed colon cancer and two of the other group did.  Now one is 50
percent of two.  That's the new math.  In the old math the first group had a
one percent chance of getting colon cancer and the second group had a two
percent chance of getting colon cancer.  Net improvement is just one
percent. Whether you use old or new math depends on your agenda.

> I got a prescription for double strength pills for the same price as my
> previous one, bought a pill splitter, and cut my cost in half.

Reminds me of when my wife buys a new dress.  She'll say " this dress should
have been $80 and I got it for $40.  I saved 50 percent.  My stock answer is
always "If you hadn't bought it, you'd have saved 100 percent."  Oh well.  I
can get unlimited pills from the VA free for nothing, but when I consider
that ten times more people are killed by prescription drugs than illegal
drugs, I'm always doing lots of research on the net before I even consider
taking anything.

Enough for now

Regards to all

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc