on needling old upright hammers

Corte Swearingen cswearingen@daigger.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:26:40 -0500

Hi Barbara,

Although the difference in tone was extreme, I actually liked it better.
For the first time, I really felt as though I could play ppp and still have
control over the instrument.  The problem was, the piano wouldn't play very
loud - even if I pounded the heck out of it.  Things are more or less back
to normal so now I'm again looking to mellow the tone down and reduce the
volume.  I'll try needling this time.

Thanks,
Corte

                      "Barbara
                      Richmond"                To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      <piano57@flash.ne        cc:
                      t>                       Subject:  Re: on needling old upright hammers
                      Sent by:
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      07/19/2004 01:57
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Corte,

Whoa!  Did someone really say to soak the hammers???  Whew.  My advice is
always to go slow.  A little might be good, but that doesn't mean a lot is
better (even needling can be over done).

We know that  needling is the method of choice.  If you're having trouble
getting needles in, I'd recommend going to one needle.  Some folks use a
battery powered Dremel tool with a needle for those really hard ones.  If
you still can't get them in you can use something to soften the area so you
can get the needles in (pliers, steam, softeners, whatever).

I wouldn't recommend that you start needling the crown until
you've made sure there is some give to the shoulders.  Part of that harsh
tone is probably the clipped sound of inadequate sustain and shoulder work
is what will open up the sound.

There's no need to <start> deep on the crown.  Start really shallow and
work
your way down.  Avoid over doing it--be sure to listen...A LOT....as you
work.  Work on <a> hammer and listen, don't do the same stuff to all the
hammers and then listen.

Try looking up the subject in the archives.

Find someone in your area who knows how to handle those hammers.  Hire
him/her to come have a look or demonstrate.

Remember voicing is an ongoing process.  I usually end up voicing (at least
a little bit) with almost every tuning.

Good luck!

Barbara Richmond, RPT