Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:13:01 EDT

As always, if one is targeting recreating a piano from  1890 because they
specifically wish to hear what a new piano from that  era might have sounded
like, of course, that is a very legitimate direction to  go. But if you are trying
to make the best piano you  can, why blindly throw up your hands and say that
it is not  possible to improve upon the work of the "Original Masters"? Now
before I get pummeled to death, understand that I don't think change for the
sake of change is necessarily good. Have a good reason for making changes.
Consult with those that know about these kinds of things and have the
experience.

Terry Farrell

   In the case of the Mason AA which I started this  thread discussing there
is any reticence at least on my part to improve this  piano. My only (major)
limitation is the  plate But which is also true of the old Stwy A being
currently  mentioned. I have reproduced one of those with the original bridge &
string  scale & with a really good board & bearing setup it was quite good. In
retrospect though the next one will probably get a closer look in the
modification dept. I'm not a fan of the three bridge config.
  Hey I rebuilt a 8 ft. 6 ' Knabe( new board) that  had a transition bridge.
Whats up wiht that? It didn/t need it. Del gave me  scaling advise which I
used & the piano sounded good. I swapped tri's for  bi's & evened out a very
bumpy scale.
  Cheers
  Dale