customer education

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:07:17 -0400

Hi Dave,

Well, many of the items in your list of myths impact humidity, including
carpet shampooing, outside weather (including temperature -- e.g. hot
summer), shutting off the furnace for a few days, etc.  So maybe they're not
all-wrong all the time.  ;-)  Perhaps when someone explains the tuning shift
in terms of air conditioning or heating or carpet shampooing, you should
translate into humidity terms:  "Yes, you're probably right.  The summer has
been quite hot, so your air conditioner has been working overtime and has
been drying out the air too much.  You know, it's really the humidity, not
the temperature that does this.  That's because of <insert explanation of
swelling wood>.  But the good news is that there's a great system made by
Dampp Chaser that can keep this from happening in the future...."

As for newer pianos requiring more tuning, I think drawing an analogy to
breaking in a new car would help (e.g. the oil changes being more frequent
at first).  Even better than that, have something in print for them.
Perhaps the PTG could produce some sort of pamphlet about new pianos for
y'all.  It's sad, but people are much, much more likely to believe almost
anything if it's in print, sometimes even if you put it down on paper
yourself (nicely type set, of course, with full color graphics).  One of the
most daunting things I faced as a college professor was breaking students of
the notion that anything in print MUST be true.  I think that's what happens
when teachers have programmed them for 12 years to "memorize the text."
It's is a much more pervasive attitude than most people think!

Peace,
Sarah