on needling old upright hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:32:54 +0200

On 17-jul-04, at 0:05, Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 So where is the NEAR crown area. just =
to the sides of the=20
> crown? and by how far off those sides?
>
>  Julia
>  Reading, PA

Draw a pencil line over the center of the hammer crown.
With a ruler measure 3 mm on both sides of the crown and mark that spot=20=

with a pencil again.
That's the crown area.
Try to avoid that area.
The hammer space right under that is the 'near crown' area and that=20
area is about 8-10 mm.
If a hammer has a too loud, shrill and percussive sound, that's the=20
place to go with three needles.
If one has no experience with this, one should try this with some=20
shallow stitches first.
If one has needled a bit too much in that area nevertheless, the harm=20
can be undone easily by putting a voicing block against the (upright)=20
strings and hitting the too soft hammer against the voicing block. The=20=

crown area and near crown area will immediately react because this=20
procedure sort of acts like the playing machine they use in factories.
The hammer gets pounded a bit and sounds harder again. Mistakes can be=20=

undone this way.
The same procedure applies to a grand piano : just hold your voicing=20
block over the too soft hammers and hit the voicing block with a sharp=20=

blow.
This way, when in panick, one does not need to file hammers nor use=20
hammer dope. Both are actually causing harm, are dangerous, and should=20=

be avoided until we can no longer avoid it.
There are more tricks to go up and down in volume in a fast way, but=20
this is the easiest one without doing any harm, and it can be repeated.
A good way to learn what needling actually does, and especially for=20
finding out how difficult voicing can be.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -