Setting Pitch

Kurt KurtGearheart@comcast.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:22:54 -0600

I've used the same system for 20+ years (with special exceptions).

Deagan C bar, 523.27.

Wonderful clear LOUD tone, the ultimate in stability at room temp, hands
free, and the client (esp concert clients) can hear it's dead on as well as
you. It impresses a lot of pro pianists who've never seen one, great
conversation starter. I'll never use any other pitch reference.

Procedure:

First rough it in, pound, repeat.

The check against beat speed of the piano's C to the tenth below A flat
beats, versus the bar's C to the tenth below A flat beats, fine adjust,
pound, repeat till satisfied. Super accurate if you hear tenth speeds well.

Takes about two seconds for the whole procedure. Just kidding, it takes as
long as it takes.

Only exception is when tuning to A 441, 442, 444, etc, for Argentinian,
Chilean, etc, or European artists, (or just plain weirdos)then I use a
semi-cheapo guitar tuner (that does one hertz increments A 430-A 450) that
I've made sure is calibrated to my bar first.

BTW, I have all three Deagans, a "C", a "B flat", and an "A". Have used all
three for fun at different times.

You can get them on Ebay once in a while. Just enter "Deagan" in the
search. Be patient, they average one up for sale every 6 months.