hr rate; complete regulation of the grand piano

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:28:07 -0400

On Jul 17, 2004, at 3:49 AM, Avery Todd wrote:

>  Dale,
>
>  I thought I was charging "pretty" close to what I should be.
> Considering
>  I also have a full-time "salary" type job.

Umm, what's that got to do with it? Unless perhaps all your private
work is at venues (community concerts, your church denomination) for
which you feel an overwhelming altruistic urge to subsidize the arts or
religion?
Seems to me your non-salaried work should be in your "overtime zone,"
not the "below the market" zone.

>  Am I wrong?

Altruism is a noble virtue.
We're all free to set our prices where we wish. I know it's not easy
for me to raise my own prices. We ought not sell ourselves short.

Patrick Draine
in the expensive Northeast (hey did you know plywood prices went up 53%
this past year?)