Tuning old upright players

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:20:05 -0500

The Hamilton Manualo (also found on Ellington, Howard, Modello, Monarch, St.
Genevieve brands) can sometimes be trouble getting back in because the
pneumatics are upside down from most players.  If they are particularly
loose and floppy, the pneumatics will collapse once the stack is removed
from the piano.  With nothing to hold them open they may want to close.

If you have someone push the soft rail all the way up to the strings, it
will lift the wippens up enough to get the pneumatic fingers under the metal
activation brackets.  If that does not move enough, you can use a stick or
straightedge just behind the sharps and push down ALL the keys as you put
the stack back in.  When the stack is in place, the fingers should center on
the metal brackets and there should be no lost motion as the pneumatic
starts to collapse.  If there is lost motion the metal may be bent with a
spoon bender tool.  When I reassemble these stacks I glue on the pneumatics
so that the fingers line up with the metal brackets.  Some techs have not
discovered this and their pneumatic fingers will not line up at all.

Each pneumatic should lift the wippen to the same point that the keydip
allows  (If the keydip is correct)

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com <http://www.thepianoworld.com>

Piano World