on needling old upright hammers

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:16:34 -0400

Hi Julia,

Just to second what Dave said. To have a softer crown with good support=20=

makes loud playing nice and powerful (but not punchy), and soft playing=20=

is sensitive and pretty.

Arthur Reblitz's book talks a bit about voicing, he specifically=20
mentions the crown as a place to voice.

- John

> Julia:
>
> I think the most effective voicing work is done at the crown, but not=20=

> deep.=A0 Make a soft surface over a hard core and you'll get the =
widest=20
> tonal spectrum.=A0 It's great that you can learn this stuff on your =
own=20
> piano.
>
> dave
>

> Greetings,
>
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 We were told in piano tech school =
NOT to needle hammers=20
> right on the crown. Upon arriving home from 9 months at tech school, I=20=

> was Jones-ing to refurbish my old upright and needle the hammers in my=20=

> Yamaha U3, as the tone was harsh on both pianos.
>
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Well, I first did the old =
upright's hammers. Needled the=20
> "shoulders of the hammers careful to not go near the crowns. Put the=20=

> action back in the piano and I heard hardly no change. That horrible=20=

> harsh, explosive, glassy sound prevailed. So, I decided to slightly=20
> needle just a few of the offenders alittle closer to the crown. No=20
> difference...tried alittle further into the crowns....To make a long=20=

> story short, I didn't alleviate the harsh tone till I deeply pounded=20=

> the needle right in the crowns of the things! What gives?
>
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I got the results I wanted, =
namely a more mellow tone,=20
> but only when I did exactly what I was told NOT to do.
>
> Julia Gottchall,
> Reading, PA

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available