Old upright - Gotta love 'em!

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:09:58 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "ryan sowers" <pianorye@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Cc: <pianorye@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 10:50 AM
Subject: Old upright - Gotta love 'em!

<<. . . . .
> Of course here in the pacific northwest we still have a lot of very
functional
 > old uprights do to our mild climate. In fact I have found I can
accumulate
> them much faster than I can get fix them up!>>

    "due to" your climate, not "do to."  Well, maybe in the Northwest, the
old uprights fare better, but here in dry Colorado, unless they came here
when new, they almost always have several cracks in the board, loose tuning
pins, no crown, splits in the bass bridge, the apron, or at the high end of
the treble bridge.
    I love the old boxes, too, but there's almost never one worth restoring
because of the shot soundboard.            --David Nereson, RPT