Old uprights worth saving?

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:57:59 EDT

Greetings,

              Upom leaving piano tech school, I had this very same idea: to
restore Turn- of-the-century uprights for folks who appreciate the Victorian
decor, with all the curly cues in the ornate wood working. A guy named Tom Moyer
in the Reading-Lebanon area does such work. I have changed my mind about this
business, because the market is probably very small.

              However, I own one such piano. Her name is Becky.  I am
actually planning a "turn of the century room" in my next home. I plan to restore my
old Becker Brother's upright (1903) from the furniture part all the way to new
hammers. The soundboard is excellent. One knocks on it and it
echoes/resonates 'like the dickens'. The bridges are really good too, and the aprons are in
total contact with the soundboard. Becky may need new hammers and felts all
over and possibly new tuning pins, a size larger. I would call this an extensive
reconditioning, but not a rebuild. Becky would be worth it. She helped me
through college and the cabinet is very Victorian ( ornate/curly que-ish). Her
booming sound is great on the Beethoven!

                I would name it a noble cause to restore these turn of the
century uprights. This is a part of true Americana; it reminds us of when almost
every medium sized town in North Americia had the little piano manufacturer.
Think of them all...Girard, Becker Bros, Jannisen, Cable Nelson, Reinhard, the
list goes on and on! (Yes, Canada was manufacturing their uprights in their
mid-size towns too, as well as Toronto...likened to New York for us)  If you
can find good candidate pianos, do the work and then market the piano at the
correct place to get the desired appreciative customer... its a go. Why not?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA