Old Uprights, gotta love em.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:18:39 -0400

My post was addressing a "refurbished" piano. You indicate that you are =
addressing a "rebuilt" piano. I realize these two terms represent range =
along a continuum.

What is a refurbished piano? I consider a refurbished piano one that has =
had all broken things fixed and adjusted but no parts are replaced other =
than those necessary for "reasonable" function (most of the action is =
likely original and the piano has likely not been restrung).

In such a case, most of the piano is going to be 100 years old. IMHO, I =
could not feel comfortable offering any guarantee on such a piano (well, =
maybe five minutes).

What is a rebuilt piano? Well, we all know there is a wide range of =
definitions. But at a minimum, rebuilt implies that everything will work =
pretty well. If the action was not in very good condition, it would be =
replaced, the piano would be restrung, etc., etc. For a rebuilt piano, =
yes, I agree that one should be willing to offer some sort of guarantee.

At least in my mind, there is a huge difference between "rebuilt" and =
"refurbished". Rebuilt means anything that is significantly worn is =
replaced or fixed or whatever. Rebuilt means the piano should work quite =
well. Refurbished means you fixed that really bad things that prevented =
the note from playing, but most of the original parts are still in =
place. Refurbished suggests a decently functioning old piano with old =
parts. No way would I offer any guarantee on that.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20