Old Uprights, gotta love 'em!

ryan sowers pianorye@yahoo.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

Also, on the subject of old upright refurbishing: I
find it easier to sell a piano that I've done
$1500-$2000 worth of work on than to sell a customer
on spending the same amount on their old piano.

Its a psychological thing: Its hard for a person who
gets a piano for free or for a few hundred bucks to
spend 3 to 4 times what they payed for the piano on
servicing, which they don't really understand or feel
they are worthy of. If they really appreciated having
a good instrument they would have payed more than $300
in the first place.

Its easier for someone to spend $2500 on a nicely
refurbished piano that they can hear and play. This
way there is no risk of disappointment that they might
spend a chunk of money on an old piano and not be
totally satisfied. When they purchase a refurbished
instrument they know exactly what they are getting,
because they can experience the finished product.

Added bonus: I give a 5-year warantee (I tell them its
as good as Steinway's!) that will cover any problems
that might crop up that aren't caused by abuse or
neglect. To maintain the warantee they must have the
piano serviced by me (or someone approved by me)twice
a year. This motivates the client to keep on a service
schedule in order to not void the warantee.