Upright Money Makers!

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:33:22 -0500

A recent discussion talks about how it is often not worth time and money
to resurrect old uprights.

But here's another perspective to think about ...

Typical Scenario: Many people are unable or unwilling to afford anything
except that $200 wonder they bought from Cousin Louie. Okay, so we go in
and quote our book rates for fixin' 'er up and they say, "No way, Jose."

Alternative Scenario: I sometimes determine that the proud owners are
reasonable prospects to become REGULAR  tuning customers. I lay out the
whole picture and offer them a reduced cost (sometimes fairly
substantially reduced) to put it in working condition and we discuss
down-the-road additional work the piano needs--very open, very honest,
making sure they know it's a deal and that it is based on my desire to
have them as regular customers.

I got burned on two of these deals, but on the several others that I
have done, it worked out exactly as hoped. I now have regular income and
grateful referal sources that I would not have had. And in two cases, I
later did extensive work (restringing, new hammers, etc.) at full shop
rates and parts mark-up!

I think this has been a worthwhile business-builder and it really helped
me get going in the early years. After all, as the poet (me) said ,,,

    Making a nice profit on a job is a very nice thing ...
    But in business, as always, CASH FLOW is KING!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---