Fw: Ancient Backchecks?

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:03:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Joe Garrett=20
To: pianotech=20
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 1:43 PM
Subject: Fw: Ancient Backchecks?

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Joe Garrett=20
To: pianotech-request@ptg.org=20
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: Ancient Backchecks?

Richard,
I'd suggest that you didn't get the piano in proper condition, before =
attempting to regulate. In other words, the tails of the hammers need to =
be slightly surfaced, w/60 grit, accross the tails. And the backcheck =
leather needs to be "surfaced", just as you would hammers. I use 100grit =
for that job.
It may well be that the tails are not shaped correctly. If this is the =
case then some wire bending is in order to get the tail to interact =
correctly with the backcheck. Not a biggee, but time consuming and a =
royal pain, IMO.
As for the Chickering Wippen springs...Yes they are a Royal Pain In The =
A**! There are tools that will make the job a bit easier, but it is =
still one of the most difficult actions to deal with, in this respect. =
My sympathy goes out to you.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police