Margin - Mostly OT

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:36:55 -0400

Friends,

This is a goodbye (perhaps shortlived or temporary, who knows?) to the
pianotech list, but not for the normal reasons, like being upset over
arguments or getting tired of the OT posts.

It is because I could see myself in a book I am currently reading titled
Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial and Time Reserves to
Overloaded Lives by Richard Swenson, M.D.  I am trying to prioritize the
various aspects of my life.  The list didn't make the cut.  I am also
attempting to reduce my work load servicing pianos.  I find it easy to
answer the call of the urgent and ignore the important.

About a year ago a "turn in the road" put me in touch with my neighbors,
both adults and teens, in ways I did not experience previously.  I won't
take the time to get more specific.

Some of my neighbors and acquaintances are satisfied with the lives they
lead, and I am not trying to change their minds.  But others find life a
drag because they are living destructive lifestyles, or they have
inadequate resources to deal with their problems.  They feel trapped,
and they don't know where to turn.  One neighbor told me on Sunday, "We
need all the help we can get."

At the very least, I want them to know that across the street, in the
white house with red shutters, there is a man who cares enough to at
least listen, and maybe help in some way.  As a follower of Jesus, I am
willing to talk about their current welfare but also about the eternal,
if they're open to that.   But this takes time, and I am trying to free
up more time for such things.

The conversations I've had over the past eight months are quite unlike
anything before this.  What I am doing is very rewarding and likely to
become even more so.  More painful, too, probably.  :-)  I'd love to
tell you more, but I've got to stop somewhere, or this email will eat up
my whole morning!

Now you know a little more what makes me tick.  If you wish to respond
and want me to see it, you'll need to email me privately.  I wish you
all the best.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I....
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
-- Robert Frost