Ancient Backchecks?

Richard Cromwell rcromwell1@msn.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:10:20 -0400

Greetings List!

I have a question regarding this absolute nightmare of a piano action (1927
Chickering - 5'8") I've been fortunate enough to have on my bench for the
past few weeks.  After countless repairs, I get it back together and while
rough regulating it I find it impossible to get consistent backchecking.

When the action is on the bench, I can get he hammers to check, a bit low...
but at this point I'll take what I can get.  When I duplicate the string
height over the hammers with a jig and then play a mezzo forte/fortissimo
blow - I get mostly no checking and a lot of double bouncing.  The jack is
escaping... so I can only come up with a few reasons why this is
happening...

1. The rep spring is too strong... unfortunate because they are really
difficult to get to on this beast. I don't think this is the culprit, or at
least the only one.  My guess is...

2. The fact that the backcheck leather is 80 years old, misshapen and worn
smooth as a baby's bottom where the hammers should be making contact.  It is
almost to the point of being spongy in look and consistency.  Not leather
like at all. This leads me to a few questions... is friction in regards to
backchecking coming more from the wedge like positioning of the hammer and
backcheck when they come into proper contact? Or, is it from the tail
rubbing up against the rough surface of the leather? (I know the answer is
probably a combination of both - but what I really want to know is how
important is it to have good condition leather on the backchecks? - thus
justifying their replacement.)

3. Also, at some point in this piano's lifetime a well meaning fellow
attacked it in an attempt to repair it.  I can go on and on about the old
botched repairs I've fixed and crooked keytops etc... But I won't.    But
one thing I will mention is whomever it was put new hammers on the old
shanks, could it be possible that they were bored and/or had their tails
shaped incorrectly (too short) - thus leading to the checking problems.

Now if it is determined that the misshapen and ancient backchecks are indeed
the guilty party and we ignore the misshapen hammer tail/improper boring
hypothesis... I have never had the pleasure of replacing a set of
backchecks, how difficult is it? I removed one as a test and it sure wasn't
easy to get out, I can't imagine it being very easy to get the new ones back
in.  There is little information out there on backcheck replacement... so I
turn to you my esteemed colleagues! Please offer up any hints, experiences,
help, aid, sources of information, etc. that you may have to offer.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Cromwell
Cromwell's Piano Service
Detroit-Windsor Chapter