Old uprights worth saving?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:35:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2004 4:31:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

My  opinion on whether old uprights are worth saving is - musically,
absolutely  - but financially, I just don't know, and actually, am a bit
Pessimistic  about that -- but I've never sold one.

I have little doubt that a  high-end vertical is not easy to sell for high
$$. How did you advertise  and how long were they on the market before sale?
Oh, and BTW, did they say  "Steinway & Sons" on the fallboard? Thanks.

Terry  Farrell

     In a thread earlier this year I  posted that I have restored 3 beautiful
Victorian uprights for  clients to the tune of about $12,000 apiece.  2 of
these were virgin  Calif. pianos, one owner families. The boards were fine.
Ivory was excellent on  2. Action wood not seriously degraded
  Awesome musical outcome. No, this isn't the same as  selling them out right
but selling had a part in getting them rebuilt. I'm  finding the Victorian
stuff is becoming increasingly attractive to buyers.  However I don't usually
buy spec projects in this vein of work anymore. It's a  very narrow market but
at least it's there at times. Know what I mean.
Hey Terry you have uprights with new boards to sell. Did  you?
   Dale