Lock tite- wood epoxy

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:19:44 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_004B_01C467E8.FCA609B0
At the risk of sounding like I am of the opinion that there is only one =
type of epoxy worthy of use on this planet, I offer the following for =
your consideration.

>From my experience, the source of failure with epoxies in general, when =
they occur, is between the epoxy and the substrate being bonded - in a =
repair like a rim, it would be the epoxy-to-wood joint that can be of =
concern. An epoxy bond is a mechanical bond: the epoxy must penetrate =
the wood sufficiently so that after it hardens it will not work loose. =
You've all heard/seen/experienced an auto-body repair with "Bondo" that =
separates from the metal after some time. This is because a proper =
mechanical bond was not made between the Bondo (yes, I know, Bondo is a =
polyurethane-based product - but the analogy works) and the metal =
substrate. The same can happen with the epoxy-to-wood joint.

A thick, putty-like epoxy, simply does not penetrate a wooden surface =
well on its own.=20

Now in a low-stress joint like filling a divot in a piece of wood, the =
thick epoxy might work just fine. But be sure to moosh the epoxy into =
the wood a bit to be sure it will interlock with the surface fibers of =
the wood.

In a high-stress joint, an epoxy like West System with its various =
fillers really shines. The basic principal here is to wet wood surfaces =
down with an unthickened epoxy - you can watch as the epoxy soaks into =
the wood - if it soaks in fast, you may want to apply unthickened epoxy =
again - with end grain you will want many applications of unthickened =
epoxy until it doesn't take any more. Then you add your filler of choice =
and thicken it to whatever consistency is appropriate for the =
application and make your bond. Doing this "preparatory wetting of the =
surfaces" will yield an epoxy bond that quite simply will never let go.
=20
=20

----- Original Message -----=20