Piano from Hell

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:47:46 -0500

Once or twice I made the mistake of letting a customer talk me into
doing
work on an instrument I just knew would be trouble. Both times when I
was
done, the customer found fault with it. After agreeing that we would do
as well
as we could, without investing too much time, he now wanted it to be
much better
than was possible, without a complete rebuild.     Also, tried to make
me feel guilty
for charging . . .                                          Another
time,  I was called to do a tuning
to a piano borrowed from friends. All they had to do was get it tuned
and use it till they
were able to buy one, if they felt their child showed enough insentive
and desire to study.
Well this gem looked like it had been in somebodys garage, thru rainy,
snowy, you name
it kind of weather. I don't know if it was even a decent candidate for
rebuild. I had no
intension of getting caught,  and had told them,  on the phone,  that
there would be a service
charge, if we decided tuning wasn't a possibilty. I can't remember why I
told them this, because
I usually don't, so they must have said something suspicious during the
phone conversation.
It cost them moving money, and more to send it back,( if their friends
agreed to accept it.) plus my charge.
This particular time, I did feel a little guilty for charging, but when
I remembered how much I had paid for a
gas fillup earlier in the day, I got over it.

Carl / Winnipeg.