If pianos are "swollen" now... then what?

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 01:06:46 EDT

Greetings,

              If the pianos are "swollen" just now (summertime), due to the
humid mountanous atmosphere of this part of Pennsylvania, is it OK to tune
above A440?

               I have been tuning for alittle over a year now. I have found
that pianos which the customer tells me havent been tuned for 5 or more years,
are very close to A440, yet they are terribly out of tune as far as unisons
and horribly flat upper ocataves.

                In other words, I will get a call to have a piano tuned and
am told its been 5 plus yaears since last tuning, yet the A below middle C is
right on or near 440. Other pianos I go to, the customer will say it's been 2
years and these are actually a few beats above A440.

                I never turn them back to A440, I figure they are swelled
right now, and if I turn them down to 440 now, then, when the summer is over they
will go below 440 when the heat goes on. Last summer, I had my first few
tunings and I turned pianos back down to 440 and I was wondering if my fork was
off...This year I figured it out. I think I am correct, but I want to be sure on
this.

                This year, (with my whole whopping 16 months expertise)  If I
go into a situation and its a few beats above 440 I tune it right there. In
fact,  if the customer doesnt have a dehumidifer or ar conditioning, I even
pull the piano up a bit to be alittle above A440. Pianos "should" be sharp just
now, right? How am I on this? Am I figuring OK on this?

Thanks
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA