Cracked Plate

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:50:42 -0700

Ironically (howz that for a pun?) I just had a similar situation.  A =
lady called saying that she had a cracked plate around the name plate =
and asked me to look at it.  It wasn't cracked at all.  In truth it was =
the heavy filling paint that some manufacturers use to smooth out the =
plate finish.  A couple jabs with the end of a screwdriver resulted in a =
chunk of the paint coming off revealing a perfect plate below with no =
cracks whatsoever.  Based on the pictures I'd say that is what you have =
here.  Go back and double check.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  Subject: FW: Cracked Plate

  List Members

  A fellow tech sent me these pictures a Kawai KG-1 with the plate =
cracked around the model designation.  The piano has a history of =
staying in tune at A440, then after a move, the cracks appeared.  They =
seem to have no affect on the tuning or stability in its new location.  =
Are they a concern for later or just cosmetic?

  Thanks

  Paul C