single spoon or backcheck wire installation

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:15:18 -0700

Dave Nereson said: " How do y'all usually install just one new backcheck
wire or spoon?  I've
done it before but it's been awhile, and if there's an easier, better way, I
couldn't think of it last night."

David,
You got started in the right direction, but then you took a hard left
turn!<G> My preferred way is to grip the spoon or backcheck wire with vise
grips and THEN use my hammer extracting tool to extract the part. Most
usually, the part comes out cleanly and you can install a new one. Sometimes
the hole is a bit over-size, so a dab of epoxy or CA is used. K?
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I