single spoon or backcheck wire installation

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 05:31:39 -0600

    How do y'all usually install just one new backcheck wire or spoon?  I've
done it before but it's been awhile, and if there's an easier, better way, I
couldn't think of it last night.  I drilled the hole a little undersized
(3/32"), between the remains of the old backcheck wire and the bridle wire,
then clamped the new wire with a ViseGrips and hammered on the grips to
drive it in (wippen in the bench vise).  I know people have drill press and
arbor press set-ups for doing whole sets, but what if you had to do just one
in someone's home?  I think once I "cheated" once by driving the backcheck
onto the fluted, or splined end, then screwing the threaded end into the
wippen, but it's sposeta be the other way around.
    --David Nereson, RPT