Wurzen felt alert

Stéphane Hanriat stephane.hanriat@free.fr
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:13:43 +0200

Hello Dale,

I think my Shigeru Kawai SK3 has the same troubles that you describes. =
Some pops in octave 5 & 6, some notes having weak projection of sound at =
pianissimo/piano playing, and need to open up the tone. I checked hammer =
fitting to the string, everything looks fine. When you say "minor =
needling to open up the tone; are you referring to "battery voicing", =
i.e. needling below 9 oclock ? Where would you consider to needle to =
open up the tone ?

Thanks a lot,
Stephane Hanriat

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: Erwinspiano@aol.com ; pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 11:09 PM
  Subject: Re: Wurzen felt alert

        All hammer philes
       =20
  Wurzen felt alert:
       The Ronsens are aligned in the stwy A so I had a better  hearing =
of them.   The piano is tuned & dampers in. Lots of pop in octaves =
4,5,6,7. Maybe another light filing  or light juice in very top. Octave =
3 will improve with ironing or playing.  The some notes above & below =
the tenor break & also into the killer octave need minor needling to =
open up the tone. Maybe 4 to 6 sticks with a single needle. They have =
plenty of front end pop but no metallic ping as is the case so often =
with Renner, Abel, Tokiwa etc. etc. Some notes sound a bit choked which =
could be the felt being too tight or wrong hammer line. I'll see. I =
suspect single needling in the 11 & one oclock areas to be where needles =
will serve best. More later.
      The low bass mono-chords for my ear needs more bite, & for me it =
needs some 4 or 5 to 1 lacquer. The rest is dark but gutsy & excellent =
sustain is present thru out the piano which indicates appropriate =
resilience.  =20
    The inherent tone color is balanced & interesting. Overall there is =
much initial sound right out of the box with just a fine filing with =
fine grades of paper (320--400). Play in will only add to the intrinsic =
musical beauty already available. A slam dunk in my book.
            Dale