Interestingly Stable

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:13:44 +1000

Hi Dave,

I seem to remember from your first post on this topic that the
Kawai/Schiedmeyer in question was a grand? If so, do you remember the
length of the piano and at which notes it crossed between the
bass/treble bridges? I'd be interested to know.

I remember tuning just one of these Kawai/Schiedmeyer pianos (a
taller upright) back around 1990. I was hoping to have been able to
tune the same piano subsequently, but the opportunity didn't arise.
The 'Schiedmeyer' upright piano I tuned had the bass/treble crossover
at E32/F33, with log style scaling (no annoying hockey stick end). I
remember thinking what a revelation it was for Kawai to be making a
taller upright with such an advanced scale. At the time, I expected
that very soon the whole Kawai range would be built with similar
decent scaling. I thought there would be no way they could miss
noticing the improved tuning stability and tunability of the
Schiedmeyer upright against their other production models.

Unfortunately, it would seem that no one from the Kawai design team
was paying attention at the time (or if there was any realization,
that it was howled down by the heads of department). I find it
extraordinary that a factory could build a well scaled instrument
alongside their standard instruments without noticing the improved
tuning stability and inharmonicity curve of superior scaling. Even
today, fourteen years after witnessing the decent Schiedmeyer scale
from the Kawai factory, the same old status quo crossover between
Bfl26 and C28 on larger uprights remains (complete with the ordinary
tuning stability which is an inevitable consequence). And please do
not assume that I am just Kawai bashing here. This scaling ignorance
is endemic amongst the current crop of post 2000 manufacturers, right
up to and including the high end maker which considers itself to be
above the rest of us. When customers call me for advice about which
upright piano they should purchase, I feel a sense desperation.
There's not one manufacturer out there (to my knowledge) who builds
an upright piano with a decent scale - its exasperating stuff.

Its extraordinary that this matter of scaling and tuning stability
has been raised by many Pianotech list commentators, while attracting
zero interest from the factory fraternity. Perhaps the mainstream
designers have their heads so permanently stuck in their anechoic
chambers, struggling to secure a minor performance improvement from
their outdated designs that they're failing to hear any voices of
dissent.

Often when I despair at the comatose which pervades the piano
industry, I speculate on an analogous scenario which might exist in
the motor industry. What if car makers were to aimlessly copy the T
model Ford while assiduously studying ways to get better performance
from the original design? Recently a correspondent emailed me from
the UK regarding my opinion on scaling, suggesting that a certain
manufacturer might be taking the attitude that "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it". What rubbish! Show me a discipline in life where
knowledge hasn't taken huge strides over the past century. Its time
to give consideration to the various new designs which are coming
along, and giving them an open minded assessment. The industry
strangulation of the past century desperately needs to end.

And speaking of industry strangulation, but interestingly nonetheless;

The Sydney International Piano Competition

The Sydney International Piano Competition is in full swing at the
ordinary-acoustic venue, the Seymour Center at Sydney University.
Fortunately, the ABC's expert sound engineer, Alan Maclean, gets a
respectable quality of broadcast sound despite the room (thanks to
the wonders of balancing microphone placement with the judicious use
of electronic reverb). Anyhow, for those pianotech list subscribers
who don't reside in Australia, you can hear every note of the Sydney
Piano Competition via the ABC's website. For information on the 2004
Sydney International Piano Competition, go to;

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/sipca/

To listen live online, go to;

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/sipca/audio.htm

You can choose either Real Player or Windows media links. Listen with
headphones if you have them.

There are three piano manufacturers represented at the Sydney piano
competition, Kawai, Steinway and Yamaha. The piano being used is
announced before each performance. I have been listening in. I'd be
interested to hear list subscriber's response to the
sound/characteristics of the pianos.

The playing is of an extraordinary standard, but I suspect that the
flat acoustics of the venue may be part of the reason why the
contestants seem to pushing the pianos too hard.

mailto:ron@overspianos.com.au

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY