Interestingly Stable

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:23:16 EDT

I recently agreed to tune my ex-wife's 10 year old Schiedmayer(built by Kawai
to Schiedmayer specs) 6 foot grand piano.  It was moved from the Sierra
foothills over 2 years ago, and was last tuned by me in April of 2002 BEFORE the
move.  It went from a house where the heat didn't go on until the temperature
dropped to 50 degrees, and the AC didn't switch on until it hit 80, to a house
where the temperature is probably 70.352 degrees 24/7/365.

The last time I tuned it I spent 6 hours tweaking, pounding, tuning,
retuning, playing, tuning, and getting it as stable as I could--far more stable than
our relationship, it turns out....:-).  When I went into her house to see how
much of a pitch raise it needed, I was surprised to find it only 0-5 cents flat
throughout the entire instument, and the unisons were not in bad shape at all.

I find it interesting that a piano that underwent a 3000 foot elevation drop,
a 150 mile move, and fairly substantial temperature change would hold it's
tune so well for 2 years!  I was surprised to say the least.  There are times
when I swear I've socked in a piano in a stable environment really well only to

Sometimes we just get lucky, I guess.

Dave Stahl