Dangers of Asian pianos

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:18:50 -0800 (PST)

All kinds of diseases ( in fact most of what afflicts
humans ) are generated/originated in the "livestock"
industry, or by the practice of eating animals,
period.
     Swine flu, avian flu, AIDS, SARS, polio,
tuberculosis, etc, all originated in the unfortunate
habits of flesh-eating, and confining animals in
filthy places to maximize profit.
     The modern habit of marinating them with
antibiotics to "control" diseases has only
excacerbated the problem, allowing pathogens to
quickly mutate beyond what antibiotics can protect us
from, hence the epidemic of patients in hospitals
dying from stuff that was easily curable only a short
time ago.
     As for the Chinese, well, like anyone else, some
of them are clean and others not at all.
     In Guangdong province, where SARS originated,
eating anything that moves is a matter of regional
pride. A recent USA Today article even described
"Three Scream Surprise", in which live rats are eaten
( As it first screams when you pick it up with
chopsticks, second time screams when you dip it in
vinegar, third time when you bite it....)
    Now, would anyone who eats live rats bother to
wash their hands as much as they should ??? Dunno. But
as corporations continue to seek the very cheapest
labor and costs they can find, including slave labor,
as in China, I'd argue that sanitary considerations
will be dropped from their priorities list pretty
quickly.
    I would imagine that piano factory employees are a
slightly better bunch than rote common laborers. I
recently bought a tarp made in China for camping, and
when I pulled it over my head it reeked of urione and
a lot of other, unidentifiable bad smells. I threw it
away.
     And then there was that Hepatitus epidemic on
produce from Mexico.
     As U.S. administrations toss away regulations
( and jobs ) in the  name of "free trade" we will no
doubt see more of this.
     Gordon Lee Stelter

sanitation will --- "Kevin E. Ramsey"