Rib Tapering

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:14:59 -0500

Hey Richard,

I'll stick my neck out - not that I am any authority at all on this =
subject - but perhaps it will stir something up. I figure if I say =
something outrageous enough, then someone that knows what they are =
talking about will chime in.

On a compression crowned soundboard, like a Steinway, the rib acts as =
something to keep the one side of the panel from expanding when the =
panel takes on moisture upon removal from the hot box - that is what =
makes the panel crown. The ribs will be of constant thickness so that =
the soundboard develops crown evenly. The ribs are thinned only at the =
end to keep the soundboard flexible at the perimeter.

A rib crowned soundboard will have ribs that are more evenly tapered =
over most of their length, such as the taper you describe. That is =
because such a shape better supports a load when applied to the middle =
of the rib, such as downbearing on the bridge. That is what I think, but =
you'd really need input from an engineer type to say more about that =
subject.

Now all other manufacturers use the Steinway-shaped rib because that is =
what Steinway does.

Is your soundboard crowned? Compression crowned? Rib crowned?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20