Rebuiling uprights

PatchWick@aol.com PatchWick@aol.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:56:26 EST

In a message dated 1/22/2004 10:47:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

>   My criteria for agreeing to take on these projects is that the boards
> must still sing &not seriously cracked up &that basically a very good musical &
> aesthetic outcome can be assured. If the piano is a train wreck I don't take
> the job &I tell them the truth. Nothing marginal. been there done that & it's
> no fun.
>   It's true (at least in Ca) that perhaps one in twenty uprights is worth
> doing in the musical sense but none except the Steinway is worth doing in the
> financial value sense. Make cents? Any way, despite my disclaimer statements
> to the client (prior to rebuilding) as to its Monetary worth after rebuilding,
> which is that it wouldn't probably retail for half what they had in it they
> still choose to do it. The reasons are: Family piano, we liked the old look
> and sound. It sound better than the new pianos. The case is gorgeous. They'll
> never make these again etc.
>   That's it. I guess there's folks with money &a different sat of priorities
> out there willing to do this. Oh yeah I love these  Pianos man.

Hi ho, listers.

I don't do too many, but I'm just getting started on an Ivers and Pond (circa
1900). I tried everything I could think of to get out of this one. It is
promising, but very difficult. The piano has been in "water up to the knees" more
than once, so I have alot of replacing of wood on the bottom end to do. The
rest of the piano is pretty good for the age, and the owner doesn't really care
how it sounds. He is more concerned with looks and the "family" attachment it
has. The piano was orginally purchased new by his dad. When mom and dad got
married circa 1910, the piano was "hocked" so they could afford to go on a
honeymoon. They did manage to get it back later and the current owner wants to pass
it along (with the story) to his grand kids.

Just one of those things I guess!

will wickham
(writing from beneath a pile of old felt and ivory)