Coleman pure 5ths temperament

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:10:30 EST

Andrew writes:
<< It has been suggested to me
that well-temperaments on nasty little pianos might improve them
audibly.  I haven't done that un-announced on a customer's piano yet,
but...;-) >>

   You will be amazed how many console and spinet owners are impressed by the
use of something as mild as Broadwood's Best.  Very few of these owners play
much in 5 sharps or flats, so tuning a WT is more like customizing the
consonance for their use.  On balance, the use of WT reduces the sum total amount of
consonance, UNLESS, all 12 keys are used democratically.  This rarely is the
case.
    After these 11 years of trying these things out in all sorts of venues, I
have just about figured out who will like them and who won't.  The people
playing modern pop music or strictly 20th century music,  usually don't, unless
they stay in the 6 simplest keys (from A to Eb).  The people playing the
classical repertoire,(pre 1850)  almost all fall head over heels in love with the
sound.
    The pure fifths tuning is a bit "hot" for some, but the jazz musicians
like it, and for concerto work, it does make the piano more "present" in front
of an orchestra.  Most of the string players are playing sharp above C5,
anyway.....
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT