Hammer butt spring

Piannerman@aol.com Piannerman@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:52:45 EST

Dear People,
    Have a Grinnell console short action piano that has a couple of hammer
butt springs broken.  It's the type of spring where one end is inserted somehow
up into the damper rest rail kind of underneath the felt where you can't
really see how it's attached.  (The other end of course fits into the groove of the
hammer butt to assist in return.)
     It looks to me like the rail may have to be taken out to insert the new
springs but I was hoping to avoid that if possible.  I would certainly
appreciate any comments from anyone that has some firsthand knowledge of this repair.
 Thanks in advance.
Charles Cron