Steinway casters orientation

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:51:56 +0100

Hello, you wrote :

 Also, on a number of instruments, the keyframe has a tendency to
> "float".  Stated differently, they are exceptionally
> sensitive to humidity  changes.  If/as I notice this kind of
behavior, I tend to
> set the bedding a  bit more tightly than I otherwise might.

Horace ,

I suggest that you check the bedding with the casters oriented towards
the key.
I also have numerous pianos where the bedding is changing from a day
to the other. Particularly one Steinway B which is in a basement ,
very dry place in winter and too much air flow to be corrected in the
room.
Yesterday for the first time after 5 years I was able to obtain the
"perfect" bedding, that gave the piano the most even and warm tone
ever attained.
I've also made tests on the length and strength of tone and indeed
these casters orientation question seem to play a noticeable role.

The Steinway have little casters (not double wheels) , I had also
excellent results from a tonal point of view on a very short Yamaha
GH1 also. Shorter pianos may be more responsive than medium ones, with
little casters, but in the end that may depend of the kind of
construction.

On  the 2 pianos, I asked the customer to hear with me the change in
tone, (thy concur and are professionals) I also experiment with the
spectrum analysis of the VT100 , more low partials with the rollers
oriented towards the inside of the piano (while the tail roller is not
very convenient to install that way always.

Can you experiment also a tad yourself ?

Best and thanks for your point.

Isaac OLEG