Software questions MiniMens

William R. Brohinsky onlyocelot@joimail.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:30:09 -0500

Depending on the measurement made and the reference used, the equation
is either 10(log(measurement/reference)) or
20(log(measurement'/reference')). The latter case (marked with prime
marks) is for where reference' and measurement' are squared quantities
(done to eliminate negative instantaneous excursions, and make a
quantity that is not tied to time); the former for simple instantaneous
sound pressure. Look in Benade (whose work I haven't looked at myself in
decades) and see if he even states what reference he is using. If his
'loudness' is referenced to Pascals or N/m^2, then the equation to use
should be 10(log(pressure/ref)), so 6dB will be doubling. If he is using
Pascals^2, then doubling will be 3dB. In light (where I worked for one
of the intervening decades), the terms are irradiance and magnitude,
irradiance being the amplitude of light, and magnitude being the square
of the irradiance, ie the power in the light. For irradiance, 6dB
doubles, for power, 3dB doubles. Why? Because of the square function
applied to derive power.

In sound, especially in 'pro sound', loudness is equated with the volume
of sound, which is a power measurement. If Benade is dealing
specifically in amplitude of sound rather than power, his loudness means
an entirely different thing altogether: hence my remark about sound
pressure and power being more useful terms than loudness (which means
everything from the knob setting on the amp to the special change in
filter characteristics to adjust for the fletcher munson curve to actual
power.) Magnitude is also a very heavilly over-used word, which I tend
to try to avoid when talking actual values.

As for the math, I don't want to tell you how many times I've messed up
addition while guessing right at second derivitives (which I can't do on
paper to save my life!)

raybro