Quickie Pitch Raise

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:45:42 -0500

In my continuing effort to not spend all day at a piano doing a pitch =
raise and a tuning, I have come up with the "quickie" pitch raise.

Perhaps this is something that has been discussed before. I don't know. =
But it is new to me anyway. I use it when the piano or a section of the =
piano is generally less than 5 cents flat - although I used it this =
morning on a little M&H (Aolean) console (junk) that was up to 10 cents =
flat.

What I do is this: Let's say the piano is 6 cents flat on every string. =
In the bass where I would normally do a 20% overpull, I will pull the =
monocords up maybe 1.5 cents sharp (just the normal overpull), the left =
string of the bicords up about maybe 8 cents sharp (bring the one string =
up sharp enough for both strings), and the left string of the tricords =
up maybe 15 or 16 cents (enough for all three strings plus enough for =
the overpull thing). By doing that, the total tension on the system is =
up to A440. Therefore, when I go to tune on the next pass, I am not =
making any overall pitch adjustments - I just set each string to target =
pitch without concerning myself with overpull, etc. This way the pitch =
raise goes very fast because you only adjust one string - instead of =
three.

I am not a fast tuner, but the little trashy console I did this morning =
was between zero and 10 cents flat. I tuned it at the proper pitch (and =
I mean it was a real good tuning where all notes were right where I =
wanted them) in 75 minutes.

I find that you don't really want to try this with a piano that is more =
than 10 cents off pitch in any area. But for the piano that is just a =
tad flat or that just has one section that is a tad flat, this might be =
a quick good thing to try.

Am I reinventing the wheel?

Terry Farrell