Piano stringing scales

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:10:55 -0600

Calin,

There are a few published references:

A Guide To Restringing, by John Travis, includes almost 400 pages of scale data (plain wire only) at 1 or 2 pianos per page.  Some is from manufacturers, but most is from measurements made by technicians during restringing.  Used to be available from the PTG, but I don't think they carry it any more.

The New York Steinway manual has plain wire data for all Steinway grands and verticals.  Available from Steinway NY.

A German Steinway manual published by Max Matthias has plain wire and wound string data for Hamburg grands and verticals.  I don't know where you can buy this one - my public library found it for me on interlibrary loan.

If you tell us what piano you're looking for, I'd be happy to share any applicable data I've got.

Mike