key replacement

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:54:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "TLJ" <chief_retired@pacinfo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2004 10:07 PM
Subject: key replacement

> I have not posted to this list in several years but am hopeful someone can
> help me out. I have searched the archives and the Journal CD's already. I
> did find an artical fro Sept 1984 with some info.
>
> I have a client with an old player upright. A few years ago during a
> domestic dispute  two of the keys were destroyed. I would like to make
> replacements for these and am seeking advice about the best wood to use
and
> any thing I sould be on the look out for.
> I do have very good woodworking skills and a very complete woodworking
shop.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> > Thank you,
> Terry Jack
> Asso Member
> Eugene OR chapt

    I understand that the keys in most pianos are of sugar pine or similar
white pines.  I imagine almost any kind of pine would do, tho' I don't claim
to have a working familiarity with all of them, of course.  I would think
one of the main considerations would be to orient the grain parallel to the
key button, especially if it's an angled key (dogleg shape).   And the wood
should not be green, so it won't twist from drying after being installed.
Just my thoughts since no one else has responded yet -- I've never actually
made any keys from scratch.  But I did have to almost re-make some keys I
had "duplicated" by APSCO once -- they totally botched the job.  --David
Nereson, RPT