Yamaha "Gray Market"

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:23:12 -0700

At 05:36 AM 1/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Folks,
>         I could use a little information.  I am in the Washington, D.C.,
>area and have a set of customers that have purchased from the Yamaha or
>Kawai used "Gray Market" and have been enjoying their pianos for many
>years.  I notice no problems when I service them, and yet the recent
>posts make them sound inferior.  What specifically am I missing about
>the "seasoning" that is done for the North American market?
>                 Norman Brickman

Norman,

    The other responses on this thread pretty much tell the story about
used imports. They can be, just like any other used piano, quite worn out.
They will be, like any import, a bit more susceptible to problems from
extreme dryness.
    There is one rather "major" issue, though. With rare exception, these
pianos are NOT "Grey Market". That term is mis-used when applied to used
pianos from anywhere. "Grey Market" actually applies to instruments (or
other goods) that are sold illegally, by non-authorized vendors.
While I'm not on a crusade to fix nomenclature, this is an area where I
feel like we should act like we're educated. It does rub against the grain,
but nowhere near as much as "New-que-ler" !   %^)

Guy Nichols, RPT
Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM

oh... and Norman.... check back to last... uh... July's Journal.... the
article titled "Black and White... or Grey?"